Molding vs Moulding

The difference between “moulding” and “molding” primarily stems from British vs. American English spelling conventions. The history of the divergence between British and American English is a vast subject in its own right, encompassing vocabulary, pronunciation, and, as in this case, spelling. Here’s a brief overview of the history and usage of “moulding” vs. “molding” in the context of injection molding plastics:


Origin and Early Usage:

The word “mould” (or “mold” in American English) has Old English roots, originally spelled “molde,” meaning a “hollow shape in which anything is cast or formed.”


British vs. American Spelling Divergence:

By the late 18th century and throughout the 19th century, standardization efforts in both Britain and the United States led to dictionaries and grammar books solidifying language rules and conventions.


Industrial and Technical Usage:

As the process of molding or moulding materials like plastics and metals became more standardized in the 20th century, the terminology used often reflected regional language conventions.


Globalization and Interchangeability:

In today’s interconnected world, many technical documents, company websites, and international conferences may use the terms interchangeably, depending on the audience.

Have Questions about Plastic Injection Molding?

Please contact us, and we shall be happy to answer them!